Friday 1 July 2016

In response to the response to Brexit

I have friends who voted Leave and friends who voted Remain.

I have friends who voted Yes to Scottish Independence and friends who voted No.

I have friends who voted Labour, Tory, SNP, Liberal, Green and Monster Raving Loony Party.

I have friends who voted Republican and friends who voted Democrat.

I have friends who who couldn't be bothered to vote and friends who don't vote on principle.

I have friends who are Atheists, Agnostics, Monotheists, Pantheists and make-it-up-as-you-go-along-ists.

I have friends who have doctorates and I have friends with learning difficulties.

I have friends who have problems with mental health, physical health and addictions.

I have friends who support Celtic and friends who support Rangers.

I have friends who prefer Canon and friends who prefer Nikon.

All of them are complex people.

All of them mostly try and do the right thing.

All of them make stupid mistakes.

All of them have regrets.

All of them laugh, cry, feel fear, anxiety, love, hate, tenderness, desire and a whole host of other emotions.

As do I.

As do you.

The one thing I have learned from all these amazing, annoying, wonderful, irritating, outrageous and courageous people is we cannot apply one action, one emotion, or one personality trait to anyone and assume it defines anyone.

Racism, sexism, ageism, disablism and any other discrimination is born out of blanket definitions and an inability to see beyond them.

Just because someone voted a different way to us, doesn't mean they did it out of malicious, gleeful spite.

They did it because they believed it to be the right reason under the circumstances and understandings they had at that time.

As did I.

As did you.

2 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

I wrote something very much along the same lines this week for my country, Kim..... see what you think if you'd like .. http://hindsfeet-birdseyeview.blogspot.com/2016/07/peace.html

wishing you well, and peace always, my friend,
I've been in the middle of a Robert Frost conundrum of late....which path, which path.... wish me a good compass..... a little more wisdom wouldn't hurt either ....
hugs,
Liz ~*

~~

Kim Ayres said...

Liz - I'm afraid I'm not aware of Robert Frost, but i wish you well with your decision, whichever option you choose. Knowing nothing of your conundrum, the only advice I can offer is make sure you choose while you can, and don't allow indecision to make a choice for you.

As a wise friend once said to me, not making a choice, is still a choice...

((hugs))