Saturday 18 March 2017

Cages

"You too are in a cage," said the old man.

The young man looked out at the vast expanse of the world. "You might be in the cage of your infirm body, old man, but I am free," he said, and set off on his journey.

The young man crossed oceans and continents, met many people, ate exotic foods and slept with women of all shapes and hues.

And the more places he saw, and the more people he spoke with, the wiser he became.

As the years passed he came to realise his limitations.

There was only so much the body could endure.

There was only so much the mind could grasp.

There were only so many seconds in a day.

He was only human after all.

One day he said to a brash young man who was proclaiming his freedom, "You too are in a cage."

2 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

Resonates all too well tonight...

Always grateful for this "place"...

Be well my friend, you and yours,
Liz

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks Liz. Scribbled on the corner of a whiteboard that occasionally gets used I have 2 words in a box: "Puny Human" - it reminds me to let go of a certain level of burden I have had a tendency to place upon myself...